Since my return to blogging is only a month old, I was shocked and humbled when my new fried Yvo at It’s All About Books nominated alenaslife for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award. While the award doesn’t come with a cash prize or statue, it brings me much joy to know that someone is reading and appreciating my contribution to blogging. I am so very thankful to Yvo, not only for nominating me, but for introducing me to so many other great blogs in her post. Please check out her post!
Here are the rules for this blogger award:
1. Thank and link the amazing person who nominated you.
2. List the rules and display the award.
3. Share seven facts about yourself.
4. Nominate 15 other amazing blogs and comment on their posts to let them know they have been nominated.
5. Optional: Proudly display the award logo on your blog and follow the blogger who nominated you.
Seven random facts about me:
1. My very first real job was at my local library. How great is that? I was 15 and 3 times a week I was paid to be surrounded by books! I met great people, learned how to deal with “the public” and discovered all sorts of new titles — it was really the best job in the world.
2. I’m not an animal person. This is an important thing to get off my chest because most of the people I love in this world either have pets or want pets. I must be missing a certain gene because I don’t and I never have (and probably never will) want a pet. The best I could do for my kids was a box turtle, appropriately named “Boxy.”
3. I hate coconut.
4. My television guilty pleasures developed in the 1990s. I can easily spend a day with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Gilmore Girls or America’s Next Top Model. Buffy is brilliantly written with characters I adore. The Gilmores’ mother-daughter dynamic(s) grabbed me and never let go and ANTM is just my favorite trash-TV, especially the early seasons. I can do without the gimmicks of the later stuff.
5. I used to be the co-Artistic Director of a professional theater company. This very long chapter of my life doesn’t often make it into my blogging because when I walked away I never turned back; but theater and especially the people with whom I worked were very influential on who I am. I’ve recently had opportunities to reconnect with some of those people and feel grateful for that experience.
6. If I had to choose only one book genre to read (and really, that would stink), I would go with magical realism. I know it’s not for everyone but Toni Morrison, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Aimee Bender and Erin Morgenstern rock my world.
7. I am the only female in my household of husband and sons. Many people offer sympathy at this fact, but I make the most of it. I am the undisputed Queen.
And I’m nominating: Apologies if I am nominating bloggers for a second (or third) time, but in a few short weeks, I’ve come to look forward to posts from so many of you, whether for quality book reviews, thoughtful reflections or bits of humor to brighten my day. In no particular order:
Between the Lines: A very new blog, Yvonne is blogging her way through Goodreads’ 100 Books to Read Before You Die list. Along the way she’s posting all things literary. Lovely.
746 Books: Cathy is doing the unthinkable. She is determined to read only the 746 books that were on her to-read when she began her blog. I can’t even contemplate not adding books, but I am excited to follow and encourage her progress.
Insanity of Motherhood: In describing her own blog, Nate writes, “Insane mom of three boys, wife, educator, and all around nice gal in the middle of a midlife something.” I think perhaps I have found my soul-mate (expect for the dog).
Taking on a World of Words: Sam writes detailed, thoughtful and engaging posts on books, authors and book club. We have some of those in common, but I’ve found myself inspired to read and write better in reading this blog.
My Blog is My Boyfriend: Holly is super smart and super sassy! Her posts are honest and refreshing a real, always a bright spot in my reader.
Friendly Bookworm: Really it’s the blog name that invited me in, but I can count on honest opinions about a very diverse reading list, including short stories, which is a rarity.
A Fragile Roar: I like Jenny’s reading lists. I like the way she writes about books. Plus I love her blog’s name.
The Girl Who Thinks an Awful Lot: She may describe her mind as “obnoxious” but I am captivated by her posts, the strong quality of the writing and the wisdom she shares. I’ve enjoyed our interactions so far.
The Book Musings: I share a similar taste in books with Melinda, so I really appreciate her thoughtful reviews and dedication to reading.
Bookshelf Fantasies: Lisa and I share a love of book quotes which is what originally drew me to her blog. Then I discovered we also share a love of writing and conversing about good books.
Confessions of a Working Mum: It’s always great to see a post from Ashley and know that other women are out there seeking balance, sharing stories and laughing at ourselves on occasion.
e-Tinkerbell’s Blog: The name can be deceiving because Stefania’s blog is really sophisticated and smart. More “literature” than “books.”
Worn Pages and Ink: Great reviews and Jaaron is always introducing me to new titles or books I hadn’t previously considered.
Rosemary and Reading Glasses: Carolyn not only writes outstanding book reviews, she posts author interviews which take me deeper into the minds of authors I love. Also, we share a love of The West Wing.
Wise Sass: Stef provides emotional honesty in spades. She reminds me that it’s OK to be vulnerable in my writing. She makes me think.
Thank you to all of the above, and so many more, who inspire me each day.
22 thoughts on “Honored and Thankful: Very Inspiring Blogger Award”
I’ve always thought you were deserving of the Very Inspiring Person Award. But until someone comes up with that one, this award will have to do. Congratulations, dear friend, and very much deserved!
How strange, I also have a background in theatre and acting! I miss that creativity so much, but I make do with running a theatre and arts centre now, rather than performing. I’m also a late convert to Gilmore Girls and a closet ANTM fan!
It’s a small small world!
Congrats Alena….and thanks for your wonderful thoughts. Thanks to for the links to others.
Thanks. I hope you’ll be able to discover someone new.
Turtles make great pets. I’m allergic to all thins fuzzy so I have a turtle baby and she’s all I’ll ever want!
I think I found this before your post to let me know but it was an awesome stumble-upon! Thank you so much for your kind words and nomination. I feel truly blessed.
So glad Sam. My internet crashed in the middle if trying to comment, then had to get to my son’s game so I’m trying to follow through by phone. You are so very deserving.
I love this! I’m also very happy to hear someone describe my posts as refreshing and real… I do my best to keep it real, even if sometimes that means I have to poke fun at myself a bit. I’m so very honored to be on this list. Also, your first job was at a library? That is awesome! I couldn’t think of a better place to begin to work!
Oh Hollie, I love reading your posts! The make me smile, laugh out loud and shake my head — all great stuff. Keep up the great work. It’s very much appreciated.
My library love has never diminished. Even now, when I’m not employed by the library, I ingratiate myself to the point that I consider myself and “honorary librarian.”
Thank you for your kind words and for introducing me to all those lovely new blogs! And you’re welcome by the way, you deserve it. 😀 I would love to work at a library too, and don’t like coconuts at all… ANTM is my guilty pleasure and I never cease to enjoy the work of Gabriel Garcia Marquez. 😉
Well no wonder we like each other Yvo! Thanks again for introducing me to the great award.
First of all congratulations and thank you so much for the nomination and words of appreciation, particulrarly “sophisticated” 🙂
You are most welcome. I always feel a little smarter when I read your posts.
Congratulations on your nomination, and thank you so much for this! I’m thrilled you enjoy my blog. Yours is fantastic, of course. And your taste in television is clearly wonderful, nothing beats a good marathon of all of those shows. Thank you again!
You are most welcome. Really looking forward to getting to know you better.
Pingback: You are welcome for the Inspiration | Taking on a World of Words
Well thanks to this award and much less than sic degrees of separation, I discover you are up and blogging again. On your terms this time I hope, I don’t feel like I have been missing out since I follow you on Goodreads and find it harder to get to all the blogs to read anyway, but nice to know you are writing when you feel inspired and reading as you please.
Very sad to hear about WBN, I never had the chance to participate but loved living it through you and others, I do wish some angel would come and fund it so it could continue.
Always an inspiration Alena and congratulations on being acknowledged so soon after getting back into the blogging saddle. 🙂
Thank you so much Claire. I’m very happy to be back (and yes, on my own terms). I’ve missed the back and forth that exists in the bloggin world differently than Goodreads. I also appreciate how you form your reviews a little differently for each. I am trying to expand and personalize my reviews for the blog. Still a work in progress.
It evolves over time and interesting to look back and see what our own inclinations are. I like Goodreads for writing first impressions without reflection, it feels like a place just to jump right in and catch the feeling as the last page is turned, whereas the blog is what remains and what returns having had a little time to think about it. And for that I have my notebook which I always carry around with me, though sadly its been a little neglected recently as life has been super busy recently.
That sums it up pretty well. Goodreads contains my impressions. Alenaslife contains my thoughts.