Way back in August, I saw a meme on BookSpeakVolumes which I always meant to try. So, on the first Tuesday of the new year, I offer my own Top Ten. (And I thank Leah for the inspiration, even though it took me months to use it.)
Which 10 posts best reflect my blog? I’ve tried to combine personal favorites plus those that struck a chord with readers. Surprisingly, they aren’t primarily book/review related. The ones that stick are those that reflect my real life outside of books. Go figure.
1. Love and Guacamole ~ March 22, 2012
One of my first WordPress posts, it remains one of my favorites. It reflects my love of family and tradition. Plus, my Lita made the best guacamole ever and I provide the recipe.
2. World Book Night with a little help from my son ~ April 24, 2012
In one post I was able to combine so many passions — my sons, books, sharing my opinions about books, photography and Twitter. Really, it’s a doozy.
3. Goodbye Dad ~ September 17, 2012
Opening up about my father’s illness and death was a natural part of grieving for me. I am still so grateful for the love and prayers I received in response to this post.
4. I said “yes.” Now what? ~ May 23, 2012
I laid my insecurities bare and felt the immediate love of the blogging community. As my life took a sharp, blind turn, I was consoled by my ability to write as a way to process fear.
5. Monday Quote: Say Yes ~ May 7, 2012
Somewhat related to the above, I really enjoyed the few months when I always started my week with a quote from literature and personal reflection. This was one of my favorites.
6. Monday Quote: Resilience ~ July 16, 2012
First and foremost, I am a mom. I make a conscious effort not to write “too much” about my boys (for both their sakes and mine), but when I do write about them, it always turns out well.
7. Secret Relief ~ March 29, 2012
And then there’s mom-guilt, always a great topic for a blog post. This is one of those posts that touched a nerve with other people. I think we’ve all been here as parents.
My favorite book reviews of the year round out my list. These are the cases where I really took my time to provide a thoughtful and intriguing review.
8. Girlchild sparks a raw memory ~ July 7, 2012
9. The Best Book I’ve Read All Year – Tell the Wolves I’m Home ~ November 19, 2012
10. Just as great the second time: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake ~ June 20, 2012
It was amazingly difficult to choose 10 posts that best reflect Alena’s life. How’d I do?
- Top Ten Tuesday: Book Blogs! (booksandreviews.wordpress.com)
- Top Ten Tuesday: Top books of 2012 (scotzig.com)